I'm of the impression that "scrambled eggs" means the eggs are completely beaten to where the yolk and white are completely blended before being cooked.

And "over easy/medium/hard" is where the yolk is intended to be unbroken.

Assuming that's true, is there a specific term for when the yolk is intentionally broken, but not beaten/blended with the egg white, then cooked? So there ends up being distinct areas of white and yellow in the cooked result.

E.g. in the following picture, I cracked eggs right into a frying pan with a little bit of oil, then broke the yolks - and let them run where they wanted, flipping the eggs over once or twice to get it cooked all over - but did not try to blend or homogenize the yolk and egg white together.

enter image description here

3 Answers 3


To me that's a "fried egg with a broken yolk", or fried egg, flipped & broken. I make them a lot, but never thought about a name for them. They go really well in sandwiches, without turning them into a banjo*.

It doesn't qualify as 'scrambled' because it has none of the method of 'regular' scrambled, it's not broken & whisked/stirred outside the pan. It has no salt/pepper/water/milk. It's not heated gently whilst continuing to stir.

It's just a "fried egg with a broken yolk".

*For why a runny egg sandwich is called a banjo - see Forces.net - Ever Wondered Why It’s Called An ‘Egg Banjo?' [just watch the video, it's short]

For why I don't think it's "country eggs"… imnsho, anything with 'country' tagged on is because no-one knows what else to call it. Google 'country eggs' & you see a million different cheerful 'farmhousey' things you can do with eggs ;)


I have seen these called half-scrambled eggs. In the video, Kenji says they are also called "country eggs". They are not a clear enough category to deserve an entry in Wikepedia's List of egg dishes, though.


When things are called 'country' I believe it means unrefined but not as in bad, but the way we say a 'rustic pie' meaning the crust isn't all showy and perfect/pretty but the flavor is the same. I saw Jacques Pepin make a Country style French omelette and it was a bit browned with larger curds than the 'classic French omelette that is pale with smaller curds. Its just how much a prescribed method is followed.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.