I have a bottle of store bought, commercially produced kefir that seems to have undergone a second fermentation in my fridge. It's normally tart and thick, but it's changed to really tart and even thicker, and has a slight fizziness. I've never seen this happen before; normally this stuff remains unchanged in the bottle for months.

What could have happened and is this safe to eat?

1 Answer 1


It sounds like the kefir was further fermented by a second, more aggressive stain of acetic or lactic acid bacteria introduced after opening. It's likely safe, but probably not very tasty. And as with any unexpected microbial activity: When in doubt, throw it out.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.