What is the standard for kitchenware tray and container sizes in the USA, that is the analogue of the Gastronorm standard in EU? For instance the standard sizes used in salad bars.

  • 1
    As per linked wikipedia "commonly seen worldwide". Jul 22, 2020 at 12:50

1 Answer 1


I haven't been able to find an official standard for US sized pans... the wikipedia even state : "used worldwide except in the United States, which has its own domestic system" but does not link to any reference to that system.

This seems to indicate that the Gastronorm was based on existing US standard :

"At this meeting the basic size of 530 x 325 mm, already in use with American standard steamable pans, was accepted."

This lists a series of sizes that seem to be accepted nationally in the USA and says that : "Gastronorm sizes are comparable to American sizes and can generally be interchanged." (bold by me)

So you can safely use GN sized pans everywhere.

  • The standard size is 12"x 20", with derivatives based on fractional sizes. They're known as hotel pans.
    – AMtwo
    Jul 22, 2020 at 16:02
  • The best explanations I've seen on hotel pan sizing is from restaurants supply stores (like the one you linked to), but I've never seen an official "standard" like to describe what the minimum/maximum size of the lip should be, or the min/max radius of curvature in the corners (which affects how well different brands stack together without getting stuck), or even specifications for minimum widths & max radius of the corners in the tables themselves (as hot trays will expand, getting stuck in the table)
    – Joe
    Jul 22, 2020 at 16:54
  • Yes, I don't think there is a specification on details. It's just "eh, we make them this size. It'll fit. Good enough!"
    – AMtwo
    Jul 22, 2020 at 22:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.