Here is an image of an apparently old (and for me, unknown) bread-slicing device from Richard Bertinet’s book “CRUMB” (2019, ISBN: 9780857835543, pg. 105):

What is this particular tool referred to as?

enter image description here

  • 2
    FYI devices like this are commonplace in France. I believe they are called nothing more than "bread slicers" (ie in French). (Not that particular model, which appears maybe Scandinavian?)
    – Fattie
    Jul 27, 2020 at 11:48

1 Answer 1


I Googled for "Raadvad" which seemed to be the text embossed on the tool, and found this video suggesting this is a 'bread guillotine'. A subsequent search for "Raadvad bread guillotine" suggests either 'bread guillotine' or, simply, '(Danish/Scandinavian) bread slicer'.

  • 4
    Common when I was a child in the 70'ies. It is used for black rye bread which is common in Denmark, and Northern Germany. I have also heard it was used for decapitating chicken in animal research, so the nickname guillotine fits.
    – Stefan
    Jul 27, 2020 at 14:25
  • 1
    I've always called it 'bread guillotine'...but I thought I was being clever..
    – gnicko
    Jul 30, 2020 at 17:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.