I would like to make some Italian baccalà dishes. However, I am unable to get my hands on baccalà. Also I have a box of frozen cod fillets sitting in the freezer that I don't want to waste. Can I make baccalà at home? Any easy way to do so? All I can find on Google with "baccala" are recipes that call for baccala, not how to make this important ingredient.
Yes, you can. Instructions from the book The Cuisines of Spain:
- Get several cod filets, preferably skin-on
- Cover the bottom of a large non-reactive pan or dish with coarse salt (such as kosher salt)
- Put the filets side-by-side on the salt.
- Cover them with coarse salt. They should be completely covered, with no fish showing.
- Place the pan, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Every 12 hours, pour off any accumulated liquids. This will wash away some of the salt, so add salt as needed to re-cover the fish.
- Lift the fish out of the salt and wipe it down with damp towels to remove the outer salt.
- Use or freeze within a couple of weeks.