enter image description here enter image description here

What is this device? It's about 8cm long when closed, and has little indentations on the top piece and raised lines on the bottom. Possibly it could be used to crush garlic etc.?

  • 1
    You sure can use it for the mythical allium sativum giganteum enormum! One clove feeds 4 ;-). Commented Oct 26, 2020 at 10:43

1 Answer 1


It's a lemon/lime wedge juice squeezer.
Only place I've ever really seen them used is in British Indian restaurants.

Pop a wedge in the gap, squeeze the handles, juice can be poured with reasonable accuracy from any of the fluted edges. No messy fingers.

enter image description here

Image from Amazon

  • 20
    Correct. Also seen in middle-class German restaurants (-> lemon juice on Viennese schnitzel) or cafes (-> lemon for your tea), especially back in the 1960s and later. Haven’t seen them in years.
    – Stephie
    Commented Oct 25, 2020 at 8:24
  • 1
    Well actual used in minimum one German restaurant at the Baltic Sea for the fish :) Commented Oct 26, 2020 at 16:53
  • looks cool, but ultimately is just a one trick tool nobody really needs adding clutter.
    – dandavis
    Commented Oct 27, 2020 at 3:18
  • I want one! Very widely available on the web. Commented Oct 27, 2020 at 11:12
  • @dandavis Depends on how many tools you actually have, and if this particular tool is something you would use often.
    – chepner
    Commented Oct 27, 2020 at 19:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.