While walking home yesterday, I found a discarded fire pit (I initially thought it was a portable grill, but then then realized that it had only a mesh cover).
- it's essentially an iron bowl with no bottom vents
- the lip is ~23", including the outer rim. ~22" excluding it
- the grate inside is ~11"
I would like to use this while spending as little money as possible. I assume the biggest downside versus an actual grill is that without a solid cover, I hit lower temperatures, and I'll lose some smoky flavor.
- Should I get a wider grate that rests on the lip instead? Or can I get by with having a few coals that the small grate can rest on?
- Should I try to find a solid grill cover instead of the mesh?
- What would I miss out on if I don't have a cover?
- Any other equipment I should have to avoid surprises?
- Is it ok that I don't have any bottom vents? Unfortunately I sold my drill a while ago and don't have access to one right now.
Note that while I cook a lot, I grill very rarely and this will be the first time I grill without someone experienced with me - so I'm not looking to get into anything complicated right away; I'm hoping that this will help me practice some basics.