I'm planning to make camembert cheese but I'm confused on what cultures to add. Any tips?
I can see why! Let's do a round up:
- Rikki Carroll recommends Flora Danica, Penicillium Candidum, and Geotrichum Candidum
- Gavin Webber recommends Mesophilic direct set culture, plus Penicillium Candidum
- Curd Nerd recommends Flora Danica and Penicillium Candidum
- Country Brewer recommends "camebert cheese culture" which doesn't help at all
- Food52 recommends either Flora Danica or Mesophilic culture, and Penicillium
Given the above, I'd tend to go with Flora Danica and Penicillium Candidum, at least for a first try. At least the amounts seem to be consistent: 1/4 and 1/8 teaspoon, respectively. According to Carroll, the Geotrichum helps give the Camembert a thick, fuzzy white rind, so use it too if you can get it.
Caveat: I haven't made this cheese myself, and my friends who have aren't available for questions this weekend.