When I was young, someone taught me how to make this powder you find on candy. It's acidic and seems to "sparkle" in the mouth, but I don't know the name and so I can't find a recipe.

I suppose I need to use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), but aside from that, I can't remember what's in it.

What's the name of this powder and how is it made?


1 Answer 1


I assume you mean sherbet, which is made by mixing 1 cup of powdered sugar (also called icing or confectioner's sugar) with 1 tsp of baking soda (also called bicarbonate of soda) and 1 tsp of powdered citric acid. Altering the proportion of soda (alkali) to citric acid makes it more or less fizzy.

  • 1
    Just to add a small note: this is the UK sense of sherbet; in the US, sherbet more commonly means a frozen dessert similar to sorbet.
    – PLL
    Nov 27, 2015 at 12:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.