After repeatedly eating what I consider the most delicious cookie I have ever eaten, my wife soon became frustrated trying to replicate it. So I am reaching out to gather ideas. This is the cookie, from a pastry shop. The filling is some kind of soft nougat, but the mysterious part is the cookie itself.
Here are some thoughts:
- We assume that ingredients include (shortbread): flour, butter, and sugar
- We tried icing sugar but it became too sweet
- We tried milk with unclear success (?)
- We tried eggs (white, yolk) but the taste did not match and it became too soft
- The surface is a bit sticky
- The taste is sweet and salty, a bit toasted/burnt which makes it so special
Unfortunately, I was not able to take a picture of a full cookie, so here is it half-eaten, as I could not control myself.
What could the dough be made of?