The French language has many specific words for cooking. What is the term used for food which is diced into tiny pieces?

2 Answers 2


The name depends on the sice of the dices. There are:

  • Brunoise as the smallest one with up to 1.5 mm
  • Jardiniere ~5 mm
  • Macédoine 5 to 7 mm
  • Parmentier 0.8 to 1 cm
  • Carré ~2cm


  • What the difference between Jardiniere and Mecédoine?
    – Jonathan
    Apr 10, 2021 at 20:29
  • It seems Mecédoine can be slightly larger
    – J. Mueller
    Apr 10, 2021 at 20:32
  • Did you mean to type "8 to 1"? Seems like maybe that's a typo, but I couldn't find a reference in your link to confirm that.. If it's not a typo then please consider swapping the order of the numbers.
    – Kat
    Apr 14, 2021 at 0:59
  • @Kat: The units were mixed up. It was 8mm to 1cm. Its fixed now.
    – J. Mueller
    Apr 14, 2021 at 11:45

From the French version of the aforementioned page, the techniques are:

  • en julienne : vegetables are cut in thin striped
  • en dés : this results in cube-like pieces
  • en allumettes : the result should be similar to matches (hence the name). While the julienne just means "stripes", en allumettes requires the pieces to be parallelipipedic.

Preparations are named according to their ingredients:

  • macedoine is a colorful preparation of with legumes cut en dés (approximately 0.5cm)
  • brunoise means vegetables or fruits are cut en dés of around 2cm each
  • mirepoix is a combination of carrots, onion and celeriac
  • 1
    I believe you mean celery rather than celeriac in your definition of mirepoix.
    – dbmag9
    Apr 11, 2021 at 15:20
  • Also, some terms are quite illustrative: "dés" means dices, "allumettes" means "matches".
    – Lauloque
    Dec 11, 2021 at 20:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.