I bought some "Keto-Ice Cream" a few days ago, and I have been since questioning the trustworthiness of its Nutritional Facts. I would like some help to decipher them, as there is either something I am missing, or they are simply wrong.
First, these are the ingredients as written in the packaging (in the same order).
Cocoa Ice Cream: Water, Erythritol, Polydextrose, Low-fat Cocoa Powder (7%), Sunflower Oil, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Sunflower Lecithin.
And this is the corresponding Nutritional Table (both for 100g of product).
|- of which Saturated||1.3g|
|- of which sugars||<0.5g|
|- of which polyols||13.5g|
Looking at these, I think that at least one of the following statements is correct:
- The ingredients are wrong (either in their order, or in the actual items)
- The Energy (KCal) is wrong
- The macronutrients values are wrong
- How is the reported "Energy" value possible with the given macronutrients?
- Looking at the ingredients, how are the reported macronutrients values possible?
For instance, the nutritional facts reports 6g of fat, and since 1g of fat = 9Kcal, then this macronutrient alone should provide 54KCal, which is already above the reported value (34 KCal). I even question the validity of 6g of fats in the finished product by going over the ingredients: the only ingredients in that list that contain fat are the cocoa powder (which only amounts to 7% of the finished product, and low-fat cocoa powder has less than 20% fat) and the sunflower oil (which, being mentioned AFTER the cocoa powder, must be less than 7% of the whole product despite being 100% fat). Hence, unless the Sunflower Oil represents, say, 6% of the product, then I do not understand how it is possible for the finished product to have 6g of fat.
The same can be said for the Protein value: 10g of protein=40KCal>34KCal. And how are 10g of protein possible from those ingredients?
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS assuming that either the nutritional table or the ingredient list are wrong:
- what should be a (possible) Nutritional Table if the ingredients are correct?
- what should be the (possible) ingredients list if the Nutritional Table is correct?