I am a vegetarian and am wanting to buy a skillet. It's been a while since I last bought one and I am overwhelmed by the materials that exist. I am not sure which material would be most recommended for the following use case:
- The skillet will be mostly used for frying or sautéeing vegetables. No need to ever heat meat/fish.
- It will be exclusively used on a gas stove, and hand washed (does not need to be dishwasher-proof).
- Gas consumption is of my concern. Heating a huge chunk of metal only to shortly fry some vegetables seems like a huge waste. So whereas some websites recommend cast iron because it retains heat so well, I see this as a disadvantage, assuming it takes longer and more energy to actually get it hot.
- I would like the material to not stick too much, without using potentially hazardous non-stick materials such as Teflon/PFOA.
- I expect daily use. In an ideal world I could season/repair the pan if the non-stick properties somehow wear down (rather than having to throw it out after heavy use).