I am wondering if I mix 1 tbs of honey, ACV and olive oil with 1 crushed garlic with a squirt of lemon juice, then microwave it for 15 seconds (enough make the mixture bubble but not overflow) can that cause botulism if I immediately drink the mixture afterwards?


1 Answer 1


No, of course not. Botulism is the result of bacterial fermentation over a long period of time. If the ingredients are safe, mixing them will also be safe.

  • 26
    I would suggest adding the corollary that if the ingredients were not safe in the first place, then microwaving them will not "kill the spores". Apr 6, 2022 at 9:23
  • 1
    @FedericoPoloni That's not what the OP was asking about. None of the OP's ingredients are "suspect". (FWIW, though, boiling for long enough will inactivate botulinum toxin, which is all that matters for eating it.)
    – Sneftel
    Apr 6, 2022 at 10:31
  • 3
    @FedericoPoloni The spores are not dangerous to >6 months olds, or we would all be dead by now. Bacteria and viruses, on the other hand, will suffer a lot from 15 seconds of boiling (if I understand the OP right). It's basically a flash pasteurization that just falls a bit short of industry standards. Apr 6, 2022 at 13:21
  • 8
    Might want to clarify "a long period of time". Botulism can poison a mixture in as little as 72 hours. Much more than the OP is asking about, but folks may refer to your answer out of context.
    – FuzzyChef
    Apr 6, 2022 at 16:23
  • 3
    @Sneftel Honey and garlic absolutely can contain C botulinum. It just is usually not harmful to adults.
    – BlackThorn
    Apr 6, 2022 at 20:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.