enter image description here

In Japanese, it seems to be called a Machuugrill. It is fired by charcoal and the grill arrows are just air. It seems to be some convection heating with the temperature moderated by water. Translation dictionaries don't include it all. What is closest term for this grill?

  • Given that it may be uniquely Japanese, probably Machuugrill. I've certainly never seen anything like it. I suspect the straight and sharply bent arrows are actually to indicate direct and reflected radiant heat from the coals, while the curved ones indicate hot air/smoke. Interesting idea, though the benefit is not obvious.
    – Ecnerwal
    Jul 28 at 15:15
  • 2
    It's basically a smoker, similar to the Webster bullet style
    – eps
    Jul 28 at 16:00
  • 1
    If the blue bit is water it might not have a specific term in English. Otherwise in English the term is probably something like "wood-fired oven" because assuming no smoke, then that's essentially what you have. You might modify it to "wood-fired humidified oven" with the water.
    – bob1
    Jul 28 at 22:20
  • Is it an oven when it is so open? Don't they ladle water onto BBQs? Jul 31 at 0:25
  • water on bbqs? no. bbq is typically dry heat
    – Esther
    Jul 31 at 4:23


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.