I bought "Professional Tomato Soup Mix" and it comes out slimy when prepared according to package instructions. Specifically, after 10 minutes cooling, a film forms on the surface. When stirred, the film does not dissolve, and instead separates into slimy clumps, a bit like snot.
I don't know what causes it but I think it's the modified starch.
Ingredients: Potato starch, sugar, tomato puree powder, salt, yeast extract, maltodextrin, palm fat, sunflower oil, glucose syrup, onion powder, citric acid, flavourings, modified starch, pepper, beetroot juice concentrate.
- Ensure the product is well mixed before weighing out.
- Stir the required amount of soup mix into cold water.
- Bring to the boil, while stirring.
- Simmer for approximately 4 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- For best results, whisk thoroughly before serving.
Is there some sciencey way to prevent this?