Is there a term for when meat (or fish) is sliced into thin pieces that are a mouthful each, similar to sashimi?

enter image description here

So, in other words, if I am writing a recipe and I want to instruct the cook to cut the meat into small slices like this, is there a term for doing that?

  • I don't think there's an actual technical term for it that would be widely understood.
    – GdD
    Apr 14, 2023 at 7:45

2 Answers 2


This probably depends on the cultural roots of the dish. Sashimi for fish or tataki for other proteins if Japanese...carpaccio for Italian...however if you are constructing a recipe, I would think you want more description and clarity. For example, 1/4 inch slices, on the bias...or against the grain....maybe adding, in the style of sashimi or carpaccio.


The Japanese term for that cut is hoso-zukuri which - according to google - means something like "narrow-made". However, as @GdD mentions, this will probably mean nothing to 99.9% of the people reading the recipe. I would make sure that the instructions for preparing the block of whatever it is you're cutting up are precise - the Dean and DeLuca cookbook for example specifies prepping a block of tuna 1" x 2 1/2" x 8" and cutting it straight down into 1/4"- to 1/2"-thick slices, IIRC.

  • Tsukuri is another word for sashimi, so hosozukuri would only be used for raw fish. Meat is typically usugiri, thinly sliced, or the rarer atsugiri, thickly-sliced. May 10, 2023 at 3:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.