I used my microwave oven to reheat Vermicelli.

The plate was hot and the plate's centre side got bulged up a bit ( i mean noticeable level ), I never saw this before.

enter image description here

I used microwave safe plastic

enter image description here

I'm wondering the vermicelli heated up due to microwave cooking and because the vermicelli is hot and plate started heating up and the microwave safe plastic plate got bulged up a bit.

Plenty of times I've heard microwave-oven causing cancer. But I just want to be sure.

Should I ever reuse the plate ? or should I ever not reheat a vermicelli in a plastic plate ? or Can the above scenario is injurious to health.

Microwave oven was on for just one minute only


please find some of the other plastic based microwave safe products that I use below

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here


This is the microwave oven that I use

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


To get one thing out of the way, there is not a single case of a microwave-oven having caused cancer on its own. Ever. It's just not how microwaves work. At the frequency that the electromagnetic waves are emitted by the ovens, it's not possible for it to cause cancer even if the unit were defective and leaking. Furthermore, there are no lingering microwaves or radiation on the food (well, apart from what was already there) that could cause cancer because, again, that's just not how microwaves work.

This is a myth that has been perpetuated for decades that has no basis in reality (likely because some scientist made the mistake of saying it operated using "micro-wave radiation" in public during the time when everyone was paranoid of nuclear war). The worst thing that can happen is you can get a severe burn if you were directly exposed to the microwaves for too long (which you would definitely notice).

Now, as far as the plate is concerned, I'm assuming that this plate is one of these Signoraware plates on Amazon. The description says they are made of polypropylene (confirmed by the recycling ID code 5 on the plate), which is said to be microwave-safe at temperatures up to 250 °C before warping. It's possible that the steam formed from surface water trapped under the vermicelli in contact with the plate super-heated to those temperatures which caused the warping.

From this point, I'm going to separate my answer into the objective and subjective sections as I'm having troubles finding any definitive answer one way or the other:

  • Objectively, there is likely nothing wrong with the plate - it's just a bit disfigured. The only real danger is that, if it continues to warp multiple times, it can become brittle leading to surface cracks and, ultimately, breakage. But for the time being, as long as the warping doesn't bother you too much, you can just keep using the plate as normal. In the future you should create a well in the center of the food you are reheating so as to limit how much heat can build up in one place, and that should help keep this from happening again.

  • Subjectively (and take this with a grain of salt because, again, I cannot find a definitive answer on this from a reputable source), I would throw it out. When plastic warps, it's often a sign that it has begun to break down, and from that point on it can leech into whatever food it comes in contact with. I have no idea if polypropylene follows this trend and to what degree, but a recent study has found that it has a tendency to leech microplastics into warm/hot beverages, so I imagine the problem is exacerbated when the polypropylene has been heated to the point that it has begun warping. I'm not sure I would trust the plate any more than I would trust a Teflon non-stick pan that's been destroyed by the frequent use of metal utensils over time.

  • 1
    I'd be more concerned that the plate would warp further and even crack, making a mess.
    – FuzzyChef
    Commented Oct 5, 2023 at 15:28
  • 2
    @Vivo I'm hardly an expert on the matter (as evidenced by my disclaimer in my answer), so I can only make educated guesses. I'd wager that anything made out of glass or ceramic (assuming stable dyes/enamels were used) would be fine to use in the microwave since it would take temperatures far hotter than a microwave was capable of putting out before they started to break down. And in the unlikely event that trace amounts do get in your food, they are basically harmless. (Trace amounts of glass not to be confused with shards of glass, mind you. I'm talking about microscopic amounts.)
    – Abion47
    Commented Oct 6, 2023 at 3:14
  • 1
    Now there's evidence that microwaving food in plastic containers releases quite some microplastics into the food pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.3c01942
    – Luciano
    Commented Oct 6, 2023 at 13:11
  • 2
    @FuzzyChef with some plastics, cracking is quite likely after deformation, but PP isn't that brittle at or above room temperature. It does become brittle in a freezer, so reusing thin PP takeaway containers for freezing leftovers eventually breaks them
    – Chris H
    Commented Oct 7, 2023 at 11:40
  • 1
    @Abion47 Ceramics in the microwave are a complicated topic (I'm a potter). TL;DR is that some are OK and some aren't.
    – FuzzyChef
    Commented Oct 7, 2023 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.