I was watching this instruction on deboning a chicken thigh. If I hear it correctly she says there's a "divot". I think she uses the word "divot" to describe the curve of the knife as a dent, but I don't think the word is commonly used this way. So what is that part called technically? I know choil is the part of a kitchen knife near the heel that is unsharpened.

Also how does one use it exactly? I don't have a boning knife and I've been deboning chicken occasionally. And I wonder if I should get one.

1 Answer 1


The curved part near the heel of a boning knife is called the "belly," and it is designed to facilitate rocking motions for more precise and controlled cutting, especially when working with meat and bones.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.