I am interested in buying a pressure cooker. I have only 2 requirements:

  1. The only food I want to use it for is legumes/beans (mentioning it case it matters in any way).
  2. Take little space

I have been checking some electric ones, but from their programs mentioned I don't see anything mentioned about legumes. Models I checked are e.g. Turbo Cuisine CY7548 Multicooker and Tefal All-in-One CY505E - 3 in 1 Slow Cooker - Multicooker - Pressure Cooker - Stainless Steel, just for example. Neither has a “beans / legumes” program.

So which setting am I supposed to choose (e.g. soup) when cooking beans if I bought a pressure cooker without a “beans” setting?

Is there anything else I should consider when choosing a pressure cooker?

  • 1
    I’m voting to close this question because its a shopping request - any answers will be opinion based and links to products become outdated quickly, so not suitable for SE sites.
    – bob1
    Commented Mar 15 at 22:49
  • 1
    @bob1: I am not asking for a specific product but what is the usual program for legumes
    – Jim
    Commented Mar 15 at 23:01

1 Answer 1


Many Instant Pot models have a ‘beans’ button, but usually the manual setting is all that you really need.

What’s more important is the type of mechanism that it uses for maintaining pressure. Most electric pressure cookers have a ‘locking’ vs a ‘jiggler’ mechanism. The jigglers will release steam the whole time that you’re cooking which means you’re losing liquid. (There are other styles… the important part is if it’s letting steam escape as it cooks)

Some of the electric pressure cookers also have sensors that are useful when cooking things that may thicken the liquid … if they notice that the temperature at the bottom of the pot gets too hot, it will shut off the heat to allow it to soften and disperse, then will continue. If it happens again, it will alarm that something it wrong (the older Instant Pots will show ‘burn’ on the LCD display)

I don’t know which specific brands or models have those features, but I would recommend the locking type with burn detection if you’re cooking beans.

The issue is going to be the ‘takes little space’ as electric pressure cookers tend to be much bulkier than stove-top ones. There are a range of sizes in capacities which affects their overall size, so you may need to look around to find one that will deal with the volume that you’re hoping to cook, and no larger.

(And note that as most electric pressure cookers are ‘multi cookers’, their total capacity is NOT the same as their pressure cooker capacity. Instant Pot says to only fill it 2/3 when pressure cooking, so a 6qt model should only be filled to 4 quarts)

  • When you say locking type you mean an electric one? While jigglers are the traditional kitchen stove/gas top ones?
    – Jim
    Commented Mar 16 at 0:29
  • 1
    Not necessarily. It’s more about regional preferences - in Europe, locking is standard even for stovetop models.
    – Stephie
    Commented Mar 16 at 4:51
  • If we use the 2 examples I give in the post from Tefal, which characteristics cover the specs you are talking about so I understand what to look out for?
    – Jim
    Commented Mar 16 at 15:07
  • @Stephie: ^ same question
    – Jim
    Commented Mar 16 at 15:07
  • 2
    If you read the Instant Pot manual, section troubleshooting, you’ll find the burn detection. In all manuals you’ll see diagrams of the valves and can see that they are locking.
    – Stephie
    Commented Mar 17 at 6:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.