I have read recipes that says mix half cup butter and 1.5 times the icing sugar and beat, add some milk, not more than 2-3 spoons. I have been beating it for last 30 minutes and tasted it, the sugar is still not dissolved in the cream, am I doing some thing wrong?

  • Did you use the correct sugar? Icing sugar is the one like baby powder. Apr 1, 2011 at 19:04
  • hmm...its not finely powdered but still quite powdered, the pack says icing sugar and am a n00b chef all excited after acquiring a new microwave oven :(
    – Kumar
    Apr 1, 2011 at 19:08
  • 1
    It should be like dust. There shouldn't be any discernible grains. If you want to try again, run it in small batches in a blender (or rotary coffee/spice grinder) to grind it down as fine as you can. Apr 1, 2011 at 19:11
  • Chris, though its not dust but its not crystal either, its more like fine sand, I and my wife are taking turns to beat it, it will be 1 am soon and I asked this 1 question 35 minutes ago, we are wasting a Friday evening with wrong ingredient for cake :P
    – Kumar
    Apr 1, 2011 at 19:28
  • That sounds like "fruit sugar" or superfine. Icing sugar is like dust, and it dissolves instantly. I think you should give up. It won't dissolve. Spread it on your breakfast toast with a bit of cinnamon to use it up. Apr 1, 2011 at 19:38

2 Answers 2


Based on comments to the original question:

It sounds like you used the wrong type of sugar. Icing sugar is also referred to as powdered sugar or confectioner's sugar. From your description, it sounds like you used what we call (in Canada) superfine or fruit sugar (sugar for sprinkling on fruit, not from fruit).


Are you using confectioner's sugar? Usually you start with about 1 cup then beat in 1/2 stick of butter and gradually add your whole milk or cream slowly to the consistency your looking for. Some people like it fluffier than others

  • ...now what is a onfectioner's sugar? Now I have a box of sugar that clearly says icing sugar and its different brand and is costlier than what I used earlier
    – Kumar
    Apr 6, 2011 at 3:27
  • 1
    @Kumar : 'confectioner's sugar' is what it's labeled as in the U.S. -- in most areas speaking British English, it's called 'icing sugar'. see cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/784/…
    – Joe
    Apr 6, 2011 at 4:42
  • Thanks! +1 You pointed me to conversion table, engineers love conversion tables :P
    – Kumar
    Apr 6, 2011 at 6:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.