I know that it should steam until the leaves pull off easily. But how long does that take?
I found steaming artichokes to require a very unpredictable about of time, and have fallen in love with the microwave method.
- Cut off the stem so it can sit flat
- Cut off a little of the top of the thistle.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon or a few milliliters of water into the middle.
- Wrap securely in plastic film
- Microwave on high for about 10 minutes. Test the base for softness with a toothpick. Use about two minutes extra if needed.
- When done, open the wrapping and carefully pour out any remaining water.
They can still be unpredictable, but at least the variation is a little less.