I want to buy this cooking utensil but have no idea what it is called and where i can buy one from. I think it is mainly used on barbeques. Ive tried googling and had no luck. I'll try describing it as best as i can.

It has 2 large rectangular flat metal wire mesh panels which fold onto one another like a clam when you close them. You can place meat in between the wire mesh and clasp the handles together to hold the meat firmly between the 2 meshes. You can then cook the meat over a flame and flip the utensil to cook the other side of the meat.

5 Answers 5


A grill basket perhaps?

I've no luck finding the term for your specific description, but that seems to be an umbrella term for utensils that basically hold something so you can more easily grill it.

  • 1
    Yes, number 4 on the linked page is what sprang to mind when I read the description... May 10, 2011 at 9:39
  • 1
    bingo! no 4 it is.
    – raklos
    May 10, 2011 at 9:45

In South Africa we are barbecue (we call it "braai") nuts and we use these utensils all the time. In Afrikaans (my first language) we call them a "toeklap rooster" which Google translates as a slamming grid which I would say is better translated as a slamming grill or folding grill or just plainly a braai grill. Here you can buy them in just about any grocery, hardware or any other store that sells any kinds of barbecue utensils. Such as this: Braai Grill

Here in SA everyone who speaks English knows the term "toeklap rooster," so I've never actually wondered about the proper English term. @janeylicious's term "grill basket" is nifty and I'm curious to know what the rest of the world's official definition of this is.

  • +1 braai grid, or braai grill - costs about US$10.
    – StuartLC
    Oct 24, 2012 at 15:46

Although its intended use is for fish a 'fish grill' like this would probably be sufficient for holding meat, the metal is quite flexible meaning you can put quite thick pieces of meat in it. These seem quite a bit cheaper then a grill basket as they are smaller.


You mean one of these?

uUtset products Grill Basket

If so, you can find out where to buy it here.

  • I was going to update your answer to include the name of the utensil for your first link's text but it's now throwing a 404. Apr 30, 2020 at 15:19

Another word for it, I guess, would be grid iron. I found it through swedish "halster", using google translate, I found grid iron.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.