A lot of my favorite curry recipes have a yogurt based sauce in them, but on a pretty regular basis when I make them, the yogurt ends up splitting into basically curds and whey. What causes that, and how can I prevent it?
As an illustrative example, last night I made a simple tofu curry as follows:
- warm evoo (Extra Virgin Olive oil) in a pan
- add chopped onion, saute briefly
- add curry seasonings, allow to warm/season the oil
- add cubed tofu, toss to coat
- cook for a while, tossing periodically to lightly brown the cubes
- turn heat off
- add plain greek yogurt
- stir to combine
In the few minutes it took to finish the rest of the meal and start plating, the yogurt had separated so I had a clumpy, lumpy, yogurt soup instead of a smooth creamy sauce.