I am making a dish that requires Anaheim Peppers. They don't have them in my local store... what else can I use.

  • 3
    What sort of dish is it? This answer can very depending on dish. I would replace Anaheim peppers with Jalapeños on a burger, but may substitute for banana peppers if it was a salad.
    – Wulfhart
    Commented Jun 9, 2011 at 18:21
  • Related, but up a few SHUs: Which mild pepper is a good substitute for Serrano pepper?
    – mfg
    Commented Jun 14, 2011 at 17:52

4 Answers 4


You need to substitute a mild pepper . . . be careful not to add something much hotter or you may change the whole concept of the dish . . . unless of course you are trying to kick up the heat a bit.

As suggested, a Poblano is the best substitute. Other names for Anaheim peppers are: California Green Chile; Long Green Pepper; and Chile Verde.


Poblanos are a good substitute, and are pretty common. any mild green pepper would probably be ok. (note: they also call anaheim peppers "new mexico", so maybe they are just labeled differently?)

  • They also just call them "green chilies", and New Mexicans would argue that this is the correct name. "Anaheim" is a mild varietal of the basic critter. Poblanos tend to run hotter than Anaheims---more like the green chilies they grow around Hatch, but they do make a good substitute. Commented Jun 8, 2011 at 0:07
  • New Mexico and Anaheim are apparently different peppers--the New Mexico are a bit hotter. foodsubs.com/Chilefre.html
    – Ray
    Commented Jun 8, 2011 at 1:46
  • They are the same pepper. Green Chile from New Mexico is bred hotter, so it is often classified differently for cooking. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_pepper
    – Wulfhart
    Commented Jun 9, 2011 at 17:20

Look for Cubano peppers or (less likely) Hungarian peppers.


Hungarian pointed pepper. It's strong:)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.