I would like to know what the long hat that chef's wear is called.

Toque is what Google/Wikipedia proffer but is it really that?

2 Answers 2


Yes, it is called a toque. I don't have a copy of CIA Pro Chef handy at the moment, but it was in the first chapter IIRC. Wikipedia and a casual googling will confirm this.


Toque is from French after the Spanish word toca; which is a word for various kinds of hat.

  • I think it's derived from "tocus" after the kind of people who wear chef hats.
    – BobMcGee
    Commented Jul 7, 2011 at 3:58
  • "tocus" also refers to a very different body region..... Commented Oct 26, 2016 at 8:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.