I am looking to buy a food processor to do very small batches of fruit and vegetables. Very basic, very cheap....and i am looking for something manual(not electricity). Is there a manual version existing? What is it called?

  • 1
    A search on amazon for "manual food processor" brings back a number of results for crank powered twin spinning blade style processor/chopper. – DHayes Sep 20 '11 at 15:41

I believe the term you're looking for is 'chopper'. Here and here for example.

This, a draw string powered chopper, is an interesting idea as well - I have difficultly believing it can produce enough force though.

And there's the rotating handle, crank kind.

You've got options.

Or even more basic, 'knife' ;)

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks. My knife skills are not that good. the links that you posted...it does not say if it is manual or electricity operated. What do you think? – Kaushik Sep 20 '11 at 14:53
  • Its manual, you tap down on it and it cuts and rotates the blade coming up. Then the next time it cuts and rotates, then cuts and rotates, etc... – rfusca Sep 20 '11 at 15:24
  • Electric version here: amazon.com/Black-Decker-EHC650-2-Speed-Chopper/dp/B00005MF97 – rfusca Sep 20 '11 at 15:24
  • 1
    Considering 'honing' ;) your knife skills though. Food choppers have their place but they get dull and some can be a pain to clean. – rfusca Sep 20 '11 at 15:26
  • 1
    Really not complete without: youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA – yossarian Sep 20 '11 at 15:43

Mandoline. Depending on what model you get it can slice, dice, grate, and chip!

US$20 will get you a basic one. The better ones are often a long running brand with replaceable blades

See What to look for in a mandoline?

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.