While recently experimenting with a seitan based fake turkey, I was curious if I was even pursuing the right media for making a fake vegan turkey.
With respect to the following characteristics, what vegan meat substitute media (as in, can approximate turkey not necessarily in nutrition but rather taste) fits best? What preparation of the media is most suited to creating this profile? Why?
- Has the defined texture of turkey meat
- Has the defined texture of turkey skin, whether deep-fried or baked
- Has the moisture level of either light or dark meat
- Has the flavor compatibility to suit either a mushroom or vegan sausage stuffing
- Has the flavor compatibility to suit either a rosemary or vegan sausage gravy
- When made from scratch, does not exceed the cost of a relatively sized bird
Please note, I am not asking about pre-packaged or brands of media, but rather media and preparations themselves (i.e. not Field Roast or Tofurkey, but rather Seitan/Vital Wheat Gluten)