I'm in the US, looking for bacon like they have in the UK and (possibly?) Canada. However, if I ask for Canadian Bacon, I receive what is basically a processed ham product that I find far less tasty. How can I specify the cut of meat I'm looking for?

  • +1 for calling it "the correct type of bacon" :D Those tiny thin streaky strips of fat you guys call bacon are an abomination to humankind. Nov 18, 2014 at 14:40

2 Answers 2


This is known as "back bacon" in Canada, and when brined rather than smoked, it's peameal bacon. Canadian bacon is, sadly, usually just some sort of processed ham product meant to resemble back bacon. It's also known here in the US as Irish rashers or British rashers (a rasher is the british term for a slice of the sort of bacon you're after). It can also show up as simply Irish bacon or British bacon. Google any of those terms to find internet vendors.


In Canada, we have lots of different types of bacon. I believe in the states, "Canadian" Bacon, as far as I know generally refers to back bacon. Standard Bacon (Also called, side Bacon, Strip Bacon; which comes from the belly), is usually just known as "Bacon". I believe this is true in the states.

What happens when you just ask for "Bacon, please!"?

Wikipedia link of different cuts of bacon. The link also includes the different local terms for bacon.

  • 1
    "Bacon", no qualifiers, in the US refers to what they called in the UK "streaky" bacon. May 30, 2012 at 11:30
  • As for the wikipedia link, it claims "Canadian" bacon should be back bacon, but it's not. Everywhere I've had Canadian Bacon, it's the smoked ham they refer to in the disambig page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_bacon May 30, 2012 at 11:32
  • Then what are you looking for? You actually looking for the back bacon? In my travels in the states, I can usually get the same thing I find here in Canada. Ask around for "back" bacon maybe?
    – talon8
    May 30, 2012 at 14:37
  • Is there an actual butcher near you?
    – talon8
    May 30, 2012 at 14:44
  • Unfortunately, no. I'm looking to order online or get very very lucky in a supermarket (maybe a high-end one or one that boasts a lot of imports) May 30, 2012 at 15:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.