This pan was given to me recently, apparently it was with the other baking items we got from my Grandmother. It is very shallow and appears to have a no-stick coating. As you can see there's a ring around the outside as well as a depression in the center, with slanted sides.

What is this pan called, and what is it used for?

  • Does it separate into two parts? If so, it's probably a pie dish with a drip catcher
    – Niall C.
    Nov 28, 2012 at 1:55
  • 1
    Are you sure this is a pan and not a cover for a pan or pot?
    – rumtscho
    Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19
  • It doesn't separate. It's one pan. There were, however, two of them in the box. It doesn't seem to be a lid for anything else that I already had or that also came in the box of goodies. I also don't think it'd be a lid because it's no-stick and I've never seen a lid that had a no-stick coating. Not that it couldn't exist..
    – Mchic1
    Nov 28, 2012 at 14:57

3 Answers 3


That is a Holzit pie pan, used for making berry pies, where the filling may expand and run over the side of the pie during baking.

  • The picture from the OP is now on that link :).
    – Jolenealaska
    Nov 12, 2014 at 2:54

It could be used for something like cheesecake which some recipes call for a water bath around the baking pan. So this allows you to put water around the inner pan for a water bath!

  • 4
    But the inside looks like it is shaped like a pie pan, not a cake pan. Plus the water bath should the cheese cake instead of just around the perimeter.
    – SAJ14SAJ
    Nov 28, 2012 at 11:50
  • Ouch...I can't believe I got down voted. :) I've actually seen cheesecake made in a pie tin.
    – milesmeow
    Nov 29, 2012 at 7:46

this looks like something you might put on top of your stove, some pre made pancake only pan that you buy on tv late at night.

  • I couldn't make sense of your answer. Are you suggesting it is used for reheating pre-made pancakes, or keeping them warm? Have you seen these for sale via TV shopping? Nov 30, 2012 at 4:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.