1

I bought a 3 pound bag of peeled garlic. Some of them have white mold on them. Should I throw the lot away or pick through the bad ones & discard?

  • 4
    When you can see mold, you are seeing the fruiting body. The mold tendrils penetrate the substrate on which the mold appears. I would discard the entire bag, on the grounds that I am paranoid, and garlic is not that expensive. – SAJ14SAJ Feb 12 '13 at 18:29
4

Throw the lot away. Mold is not always visible but when it is, the mycelium may be present in the entire substance, especially in foods with high moisture content. Eating the mycelium can make you sick and it can continue to develop mold after you've cut the moldy parts away.

| improve this answer | |
0

Pick through. I even cut out, then use the good part. It is most likely Penicillium hirsutum, "blue mold of garlic". Sporulation and germination are delayed at low temps (i.e. fridge)[1], therefore you see only white which are the mycelia.

[1] "Low-temperature biology and pathogenicity of Penicillium hirsutum on garlic in storage", P. Bertolini et. al, 1996, https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-5214(95)00025-9

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.