This question might be Off-Topic, due to the gas involvement, although it is equipment related, but I'll see what people think.

I have a gas stove top, and I like to cook with a wok. But the gas deflectors that are used to make the nice 'ring' of gas for flat bottoms pans mean the heat source is dissipated for my wok, and when I have worked in chinese restaurants in the past they generally have a single ruddy great flame in the middle that their woks go over.

Could I remove the deflectors and just burn the gas coming directly from the hole underneath so I got the single large flame under my wok that I'm after?

1 Answer 1


I've never heard of anyone trying this. I think its very unlikely though. Those gas deflectors are actually specially designed to pull in the appropriate amount of atmospheric air for a proper flame. This is why the flame you see is so blue and has very little orange.

I'd look into seeing if there is some way to get a replacement deflector that is better suited for wok cooking.

You could also do what Alton Brown does and use the bottom half of a turkey deep fryer, outside preferably, and not over any pipes or electrical wiring or gravel.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.