I had a lovely Indian meal which I would like to find the name of. There were small whole potatoes with a little hole cut into them and filled with spices and (I think) some lamb mince. They were served in a spicy tomato sauce. Any idea what this dish is, or how I could figure out how to make it?

  • 1
    Welcome to Seasoned Advice! This is a great question - I've just tweaked it slightly to remove the explicit recipe request. We try to avoid those, because they usually turn into popularity contests with everyone posting their favorite recipe. I'm sure people will still provide examples if they have them though!
    – Cascabel
    Commented Sep 10, 2013 at 18:45
  • @Carla Dolfing: Check whether its Potato Cutlet??? Commented Sep 27, 2013 at 2:53

6 Answers 6


I think what you are referring to is the Kashmiri Dum Aloo, it's a vegetarian dish where potatoes are stuffed with a mix of paneer (cottage cheese) & cashew, and then cooked in a thick gravy. It's best enjoyed with any kind of Indian bread like roti, naan, paratha, etc.


The Indian term for potato is aloo. I have seen this called stuffed aloo in the indian places around Oslo.

From what I understand, it has many variants, however most seem to involve hollowing out a potato, and adding a lamb mince curry sauce to the hole.


Is Bharawan Aloo perhaps what you had in mind? The recipe I found doesn't contain lamb, but I would imagine a dish like that probably comes in many variations.

Bharawan Aloo


Arent you referring to Dum aloo,look below the picture comment it if the dish is which you searching for,

enter image description here


potatoes are mostly used with meat in stews in Indian cuisine it must me Dum Aloo it doesn't contain any meat though.


Aloo gujiya may be the dish you have in mind.Gujiyas have many categories like sweet gujiya having coconut and sugar as filling,veg gujjiya with green peas carrots and beetroot spicy fillings ,aloo gujiya with predominantly whole potato made spicy with pepper and chillies as a filling. Chicken gujiya, meat gujiya are also there.Made in a semicircular shape sealing the open ends after filling is done.enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.