I'm trying to reproduce a recipe mentioned in a novel for a beverage, and it mentions that the main character threw in some "irish moss". I assume this isn't literally just moss from Ireland. What is this? Does it have another name I might be able to buy it under?


Irish Moss, Chondrus crispus, is a species of seaweed, rich in carrageenan, an emulsifier and hydrocolloid.

Evidently, you can buy modern extracts as well from brewing supply stores, for use as a kettle fining to help precipitate unwanted proteins.

  • Exactly this. Try your local homebrew supply store; it's most commonly used to keep the beverage clear.
    – KatieK
    Oct 28 '13 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.