Is there a name in English for the process of turning ingredients of a dish into liquid through boiling them long enough?

Usually this happens as cook's errors, but at times it's the desired effect (e.g. you may create an excellent, smooth, creamy sauce by simmering the ingredients for a long time).

Judging by what Google Images show, it seems that "overcooking" usually means burnt or nearing burnt fried/grilled food, which is definitely not the same thing.

  • How about "overboiling"? – Damkerng T. Dec 9 '13 at 16:13
  • 1
    Are you thinking of reduction? – Tyler James Young Dec 9 '13 at 17:54
  • 1
    This question might be more appropriate for ELU. – Tyler James Young Dec 9 '13 at 18:11
  • @TylerJamesYoung Or on a cooking forum. – Jay Dec 9 '13 at 18:14
  • I thought it might be trivial, but doesn't seem so. Well, I'll try Seasoned Advice. – SF. Dec 9 '13 at 20:17

The phrase you may be looking for is "boil to (a) mush".


It appears simply there is no word in English to describe this process, and you have to use descriptive expressions like "simmer until dissolved".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.