A few months ago we were visiting Paris, and in Montmartre, there were several pastry shoppes with large meringues. And by large, I mean the size of someone's head, or an American football. They were usually swirled with a pastel food coloring to give them a frosted look. But otherwise, they were just a gigantic meringue.

For the life of me, I can't find what these pastries are called. It came to a head this morning when I made a recipe which left me with 18 egg whites, and I'd love to try making them. So, does anyone have any idea what these large meringues are called??

  • 1
    Its sounds somewhat like a Pavlova, but that is Australian. Do you have a picture? For whatever it is worth, angel food cake is my standard use up egg whites recipe.
    – SAJ14SAJ
    Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 19:18
  • Sadly we don't have any photos - we didn't have any cameras with us, and even if we did, we were cautioned against bringing them into Montmartre because of pickpockets, lol. This is the closest I've been able to find, but it still isn't quite right (they're about 4x the size of the ones in the photo): debsravingrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/12/…
    – Matthew
    Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 19:22
  • Like this? 3.bp.blogspot.com/_of9NPGo1g1M/Rarv4t5Af4I/AAAAAAAAAEM/… Commented Apr 5, 2014 at 20:51

2 Answers 2


They're just called meringues... Make sure to use a recipe for French meringue, not Italian meringue.



I saw them in a patisserie in Bergerac called Rocaille but can't find a specific recipe . They were 3 different flavours

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.