I came across a recipe for Italian-style meatballs today that includes two ingredients I've never seen used in any meatball recipe before: baking soda and cream of tartar. It also does not include any sort of bread or breadcrumbs, as is generally customary.
What could be the purpose of adding these ingredients? Does it somehow go hand-in-hand with omitting a bread filler?
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb blend (or oregano)