My yard is crawling with rhubarb, a hardy perennial that comes back every year in greater numbers. As far as I can tell, recipes usually involve a pie or jam with gratuitous amounts of sugar to wash away the bitter taste. Can it be reliably used in ways without all that sugar?
All Recipies has an 'ingredient search' form, where you can specify ingredients that you want, and ones you don't want. So searching for rhubarb without sugar got me 10 results ... thwith most using some other form of sweeteners.
For the few that didn't:
- Rhubarb Wild Rice Pilaf (2 cups rhubarb, 2 TB honey)
- Rhubarb Salsa (2c. rhubarb, 2 TB honey)
- Rhubarb and Buckwheat (not sure what this is; 1/2 c. rhubarb, 1 tsp honey)
- Rhubarb Rumble Pie (not sure on sugar ratio ... comes from pudding & jello mixes)
- Rhubarb Smoothie (not sure on sugar ration ... comes from fruit and vanilla yogurt)