I'm at a loss for what these things are for - they came in a bag with some other things I bought at a thrift store.

unidentified kitchen tool

1 Answer 1


They're cocktail strainers, and they do what they sound like! More precisely, you use it to strain the cocktail on the way out of the shaker.


  • 7
    Specifically, this is the variety known as a "Hawthorne strainer" per its inventor, typically used when straining from a mixing tin. There is also a variety known as a "Julep strainer" used for cocktails stirred in a mixing glass: worldwidedrinks.com/julep.html
    – logophobe
    Commented May 29, 2014 at 21:06
  • 1
    @logophobe The presence in the page you linked of the word olive's repeated several times is highly offensive to mine eyes!!!
    – ErikE
    Commented May 29, 2014 at 23:57
  • Thank you! Question about etiquette here: should I change the title to somehow include the words "Hawthorne strainer"?
    – jpadvo
    Commented May 30, 2014 at 2:54
  • @ErikE I won't argue with you there - I was looking mostly at the pictures of the strainers. But now I have to keep the link so that your comment makes sense in context.
    – logophobe
    Commented May 30, 2014 at 3:04
  • 2
    One important thing to know is that these are made to fit a specific size of glass or metal shaker. You can use them on any glass as long as it's rim is the right size.
    – GdD
    Commented May 30, 2014 at 8:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.