Materials you can put in the dishwasher
- Glass, both traditional and borax
- Glazed ceramic
- Vitreous ceramic (Luminarc)
- Stainless steel, if you don't leave it in there for days either before or after running the dishwasher.
Materials you shouldn't put in the dishwasher
- anything with a non-stick coating
- aluminium and other reactive metals such as copper and cast iron. Not any kind of "tin" either, or black ?
- unglazed ceramic like earthenware
In general, you can put enameled metal in the dishwasher, but if you splurged on a LeCreuset and expect it to last for a lifetime, it is better to do it per hand too.
Another border case are plastics. There are some which will deform in the dishwasher and others which will be fine. Generally, the ones used in food vessels (such as tupperware food containers) and in utensils (such as high-melting-point nylon spatulas) are fine in the dishwasher.