They seem a bit similar to me, but a lot of people argue that the answer is "stuffing" and that you can't call it "filling".

  • 1
    There's probably a way to ask this that's a bit less poll-ish, but as-is I don't think we want to encourage additional answers. – Cascabel Nov 24 '15 at 18:34

I am from Eastern Pennsylvania, where we call it "Filling". Good luck convincing the rest of the world, though. I catch crap for it all the time.

Filling, Stuffing, Dressing....It's all the same, regional dialects aside.

  • 2
    Exactly. Who the hell calls that filling?? Hmmm...You, I guess. – Jolenealaska Sep 17 '14 at 13:37
  • sounds like a regional thing ... it's not in the 2003 Harvard Dialect Survey, though. (current survey) – Joe Sep 17 '14 at 14:42
  • FWIW, I've only ever heard the terms "dressing" and "stuffing" (my preferred term) but see no reason why "filling" wouldn't be just as logical. Just might have to explain yourself more often. – logophobe Sep 17 '14 at 16:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.