Alright. I did it.
I took photos, but it might be only later before I can upload them.
Small macchinetta, enough for two small tea glasses.
I put about half the height of the holding chamber. In retrospect, I could have gone even 2/3rd of the height. Edit: I just opened up the pot, to clean it up, it seems that my amount was right on the money. After the second pot the leaves expanded even more. I think that a third pot could have been made with them as well. End edit.
I poured water to the appropriate height (or a bit less), and put it on the stove on a low heat until there was some noise that indicated that more or less the tea is ready.
The first serving was weak. But that was expected, my dad remarked that it's normal for the first washing to be weak. So we did a second run. The result was pretty good. It would have been better if I padded up the tea leaves, but it was pretty nice.
I wouldn't recommend this method over pouring hot water through the tea leaves (not steeping).
But the experiment was fun! Thanks for the two answerers that reassured me that this is doable.