Breaks bones for 'bone broth' method.
- tools - heavy ROOFING hammer or sledgehammer used
for wedge for firewood.
- tools - metal plate, wood sheet, rubber mat, concrete
patio floor. You may crack the patio floor.
Hammer Selection: Heavy, steel forged, NO wood handle,
roofing hammer. Use two hands. Try freeze in ice, then
boil in water. 3 or 5 cycles and then broth becomes
weak in taste. Sledgehammer is preferred.
It is better to buy expensive roofing hammer than
buy more than $60 chef knife.
- procedure: wear safety goggles and use cardboard
box to contain flying fragments.
- Freeze the bones solid in ICE.
- some bones are not brittle, but after repeated
cycles will BECOME brittle or able to be broken.
- 2 hours cook bone broth.
- remove bones. Soak in vinegar acid.
- smash the bones while they are warm. optional.
- cover in ice and freeze in freezer.
- use plastic bag, tyvek bag, cloth to contain
flying bone fragments. Only do this outside.
- repeat 3 or 4 times. the slow heat and vinegar
cycles will soften bone structure.
summary results of $1. / pound turkey on sale.
- buy the cheapest. do NOT get butterball of fake
- sharpen knife.
- cook with two pots
- separate meat, dark, white, debone and cool.
- separate portions for freezing in freezer.
- drink the broth or soup.
- remove collagen and tendons from bones. Eat.
- bone collections (lamb, pork feet, turkey)
- use first procedure.
- strain broth and remove the heavy fragments on bottom. Eat the fragments, if possible.
THIS SYSTEM works in Tampa, FL, USA. YMMV.
Used roofing hammers are available at thrift store.