I have a nice sized chuck roast in the sous-vide circulator, I can see that there are some great looking juices accumulating in the bag. I want to make a sauce out of those juices with butter, garlic, herbs and wine reduction. There is a name for that kind of sauce, but it's escaping me at the moment. So that I can Google for recipes, what would a sauce like that be called?

4 Answers 4


Using the meat juices from cooking is a jus :) adding wine along with the aromatics might change it to be a "red wine jus" or I've also seen a "port jus", or the jus could be used in a Madeira sauce, etc.

served in the natural juices that flow from the meat as it cooks.


  • 1
    And remember that "au jus", linked, means literally "with juice", referring to something served in the sauce, so don't say "with au jus" or "with au jus sauce" as I have seen sometimes.
    – Cascabel
    Jan 12, 2015 at 2:13
  • Never seen that, lol ouch :) Like ATM machine & PIN number!
    – Ming
    Jan 12, 2015 at 2:54

The other answers here are probably technically more correct, but I did find the word that I was looking for. That word is Bordelaise.

  • Could also be called a reduction.
    – GdD
    Jan 12, 2015 at 11:12

I've often heard these kinds of things called pan sauces. I think it originally refers to drippings (and maybe fond) from the cooking pan, but the idea is still meat stuff + other stuff + cooking/reducing, so it's not surprising people apply the name to sous vide juices as well.


Could be as simple as gravy.

gravy ˈɡreɪvi/ noun

  1. a sauce made by mixing the fat and juices exuded by meat during cooking with stock and other ingredients.
  • 1
    Gravy typically contains flour or some other sort of starch or thickening agent, which the question doesn't mention. Jan 12, 2015 at 16:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.