I have a recipe for garlic crack bread (pull apart bread) that calls for a crusty loaf, preferably sourdough or Vienna. I have looked in the bakery sections and can not find. Is there possibly a different name I should be looking for?

  • Its not a technical name for a bread, its a descriptive name.
    – rfusca
    Commented Mar 9, 2015 at 17:52

1 Answer 1


It's any loaf with a crispy crust. There's not much more to it than that. If you can't find sourdough or Vienna, just use a standard white loaf with a crisp crust.

  • The only thing I'd add is that 'crusty' doesn't just imply texture but substance. I was taught a crusty loaf of bread should have a thump to it when you knock on it. The meaning seems largely colloquial so...
    – Derpy
    Commented Mar 12, 2015 at 0:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.