Have a recipe for Irish Brown Bread that says to use a shortening pan & mentions the lid. Would a loaf pan with foil over the top work the same way?

  • As someone who's eaten plenty of irish bread (and lived in Ireland) I have to say I've never heard of a shortening pan. Neither has Google! Where did this recipe come from?
    – miken32
    Mar 15, 2015 at 2:33
  • Is a shortening pan like a Pullman loaf pan?
    – Catija
    Mar 25, 2015 at 1:29
  • Vegetable shortening used to come in a bucket-like tin, but I doubt that what your recipe is talking about unless it's fairly old.
    – Ross Ridge
    Mar 25, 2015 at 5:50

1 Answer 1


The only "loaf pan with a lid" I'm familiar with is the "Pullman" pan. I have seen suggestions to use a board wrapped in foil or foil under a casserole dish set on top of a regular loaf pan if trying to emulate that form without the right pan. Foil alone would probably not hold. I don't own one and have never emulated it. I suppose if someone was using a bread pan to store grease in for use as shortening, a Pullman pan would help to keep things out of it. But as with @miken32 I can't find any reference to a pan by that name.

pullman pan - image from breadtopia - no affiliation/endorsement implied.

  • 1
    This was my thought.
    – Catija
    Mar 25, 2015 at 1:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.