I've seen this in mostly chain supermarket and Costco.

When they make sushi, they would brush this clear gel like substance on the sushi maki roll either to keep it moist or fresh for long period of time. Anyone know what that stuff is call?

  • 1
    just fyi, this doesn't sound appetizing lol – rfusca Mar 23 '15 at 17:20
  • It could just be simple syrup. I know that's brushed on pastries sometimes to keep them moist. Sushi rice is already sweetened, so the extra sugar might not be too noticeable. – SourDoh Mar 23 '15 at 18:41
  • @rfusca, that is why I don't buy sushi from those places, no matter if it's on sale or not. – MCHam Mar 23 '15 at 21:04

This is likely to be guar or xanthan gum


(Look at one of the items like a Philadelphia roll).

Not very appetising but does keep in 'kind of' fresh

  • Looks like they are found in everyday items, canned food, salad dressing, even gluten free bread. – MCHam Apr 1 '15 at 17:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.