I worked at a restaurant for a month once and they had a device there. It was a rectangular box: you'd put a tomato in it, and there was a handle at the one end you could use to push the tomato against some blades. The tomato would come out the other end in 5 slices.

It was so much more efficient than using a knife, but I don't know what it was called.

I almost want to say it was a tomato slicer, but I never heard anyone call it that.

  • 1
    If you google/image search for "tomato slicer" you'll find devices with the same functionality - I'd say go for it.
    – Stephie
    Apr 7, 2015 at 5:14
  • 1
    I'm sure Dr. Seuss covered that at some point....
    – GdD
    Apr 8, 2015 at 9:09

2 Answers 2


Yes, believe it or not... it's called a Tomato Slicer, but they are also sometimes referred to as a Tomato Saber. Which is a product name originally from the commercial company Price Castle.

Although I agree with Stephie and janeylicious just include the additional keyword 'commercial' with your search.

Another option is that you can try the keyword 'Tomato Saber', this should also aid to a successful search.

Tomato Saber

  • That's it exactly! It looks just like it.
    – leeand00
    Apr 7, 2015 at 14:55
  • Do they cost alot?
    – leeand00
    Apr 7, 2015 at 14:55

A tomato slicer! If you're looking to buy one, you may want to add 'commercial' onto a search.

This is what I use at my restaurant: http://vollrath.com/ProductFamily/Food-Preparation-Equipment/Redco-Tomato-Pro.htm

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.