The other day I braised beef asian style (a bit of weak beef stock, sweet soy syrup, and dark soy sauce if you're wondering), and I put in some ginger. I wanted to keep the ginger together but give the most surface area to let its flavors out, so I cut into sticks which were still connected to the base. I was explaining to someone what I'd done, but I could not come up with a name for what I did.

What is the name for this technique?

  • This is generally known as fanning. Commented Apr 30, 2015 at 16:58
  • I've heard someone call it 'book cut' before, but using search engines for that term to determine if it's common was pretty useless.
    – Joe
    Commented Apr 30, 2015 at 21:44
  • @jbarker2160, a fan cut is generally for presentation, but closer than anything else I've found
    – GdD
    Commented May 1, 2015 at 7:38
  • I'd bet there's a name for it in Chinese.
    – FuzzyChef
    Commented May 2, 2015 at 7:06
  • Maybe I get to name it!
    – GdD
    Commented May 2, 2015 at 12:41

1 Answer 1


I think the term you are looking for is accordion cut. It is the technique you describe, making slices not all the way through, leaving an end or side intact.

It is most widely known for preparation of hasselback potatoes, but can also be used for meat and other items. Please see pics below of hasselback potatoes and meat.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Other times that I have used this cut is when fine dicing celery and other veggies and, quite similar to your use, when using a block of salt meat for seasoning vegetables.

  • I don't think that's it @Cindy, an accordion cut is used only on meat, cutting alternating top and bottom cuts to make a thicker piece of meat stretch.
    – GdD
    Commented May 1, 2015 at 7:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.