When I was in Switzerland, the cooks prepared a special Swiss type of cheese and I've been wondering how this was called. It looks a bit like doner kebab(in the sense it is on a stick and they used some flame on it) and it smells a lot. Just in case this helps - this was in Zurich(the meal may be local for there).

Can anyone help me in pointing the name of that cheese(or maybe the meal name)?

2 Answers 2


If I ignore the "on a spit" part I immediately think of Raclette, which is melted, roasted cheese served typically with bread or boiled potato.

  • In household settings the cheese is often heated in small individual pans under a table-top broiler, each guest gets his or her own pan and prepares his food.

  • Traditionally (and in larger settings) halved wheels of cheese are turned with the cut side towards a heat source and servings of molten cheese scratched off. The heating can be done either at a fireplace (embers) or on a special "machine" consisting of a heat source and a (often movable) tray for the cheese(s). The melting and serving is done by one cook for all participants. In Switzerland, but also sometimes in neighbourung countries, traditional Raclette is sold on food fairs, festivals and markets.

  • I think this can be it. I've seen raclette only in the first version, but maybe they simply served it differently(in the second version you describe) Jun 24, 2015 at 11:54

Perhaps it was raclette? It is both the kind of cheese and a Swiss dish based on heating a hunk of cheese and scraping off ("racler") the melted part. The more known way to prepare raclette is on a table-top grill which is on the table. Often, other cheeses are used.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Sources: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Raclette_with_all_the_trimmings.jpg https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Raclette2.jpg

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.